Saturday 3 January 2015

Putting in the brain work

My brain. Yes, really


This is my brain. It's an MRI image (god bless Bupa - you get a nice little CD to take home with you afterwards as a memento of your visit) with a little added excitement courtesy of the picture editing site PicMonkey, my favourite toy of the moment.
 
Let me explain.

After completing a bed quilt as a Christmas present, it's back to the serious stuff: a textile piece on the theme of Lines of Communication for the Prism exhibition in May.

My brain has been working on how to interpret the theme since the subject was set back in April last year, and now it has come up with a solution by looking in at itself. Ten months ago, I began getting pins and needles, which got worse and worse until my physio decided action was needed and I embarked on a battery of tests: nerve function, spine X-ray and MRI, brain scan, lumbar puncture, flashing lights, electric needles... The doctors have ruled out anything "dangerous" but are still puzzled. But hey, I have my theme: Paresthesia (Pins and Needles).  I like the pun. And I now have a medical file bulging with visual inspiration. Do a simple Google image search for "nerves" and be amazed and dazzled!

Here is a definition from the NewsMedical site: "The nervous system is a complex network of nerves and cells that carry messages to and from the brain and spinal cord to various parts of the body."

Nerves: the most essential lines of communication.

The nervous system.
Picture from Dover, edited in PicMonkey



No comments:

Post a Comment